Thursday, April 3, 2014

WORDS



If you’re a regular reader of my blog, you’ve probably noticed a French flavor to some of my poems.

I’ve been studying French for a couple of years. It’s a fun thing to do and I am learning French although it’s a slow process at my age.
When you study a language, you learn a lot about the culture of the country involved. You also learn a lot about your own language. Today’s poem is a tongue-in-cheek look at the English language and some of the slang and phrases that we, as Americans, use in our everyday conversation. Enjoy. . . . .


***************


Words can be as soothing as a baby lamb’s fleece
They can cause turmoil or add to one’s inner peace
Harsh words can be as cruel as a savage beast
Yes, our language can be strange to say the least

Phrases like up north, down south, back east and out west
May be the response to one’s “Where yawl from?” request
There’s also up above, down below, in close and out yonder
Are these some vague places, your imagination can wander?

Downtown, uptown and hometown are words going around
Could these possibly be commands to a dog named “town”?
There’s onetime, anytime, sometime and, oh yes, lunchtime
Oh, may I mention my website, herms-rhyme-thyme?

Without words, the world would be an awful mess
We’d probably “talk” with a frown, or a smile, I guess
Maybe a grunt or a handshake would do the trick
Disagreement could be handled with a good swift kick

So tell the world what-so-ever is on your mind
Be truthful, compassionate and, above all, be kind
Remember, whatever you might say in haste may. . . .
Surprise! Come back to haunt you on another day!

                                                                                      Poem by Herm Meyer

                                                 *********** 
STUFF:

Recently I was surprised by an email informing me that I had a new comment on one of my blogs. Checking out the comment I determined, by going to the profile associated with the sender’s blog that it was from my grandson, Jeffery. 

Now, Jeffery is only 12 years old and he put together (by himself) his own website! He has some work to do on the site, but he is energized. He would sure be happy and surprised if he had some readers and maybe comments from around the world. Thanks. . . . .




3 comments:

  1. Have a ball! My mom says, when I'm on my way somewhere. But we don't need to travel far to have fun: your bouncy words are a wonderful change of scenery, Herm! And make us appreciate the world around us. Thank you! And congratulations to your grandson. On my way to check out his page now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin. That was a great interview you had with Janet in Bonjour Paris.........Herm

      Delete
  2. Rest in peace dad we love and miss you dearly ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜

    ReplyDelete